As part of Government’s ongoing efforts to promote the efficient use and conservation of energy in buildings, it is proposed to introduce a new framework for the furtherance of energy efficiency in buildings and enforcement of building codes through a new Building Control Bill.
The objectives of the assignment were to:
(i) Develop a new Building Control Bill which will provide the framework for the enforcement of measures relating to new Building Regulations and Codes in all sectors of economic activities: industrial, commercial, residential, health, education.
(ii) Enable the implementation of Energy efficiency measures and incorporate to the extent possible use of renewable energy in the design of building construction and the modernisation of the existing building stock through a legislative framework,
(iii) Develop Compliance Mechanisms codes (including enforcement measures) and develop training materials for capacity building.
(iv) Carry out a comprehensive analysis of compliance mechanisms in existing building permit system, assessing compliance level, enforcement approaches, gap analysis, and necessary corrective actions for a sustainable compliance regime.
For this project, DEM provided the following services:
Result 1 Delivery of desk review of international standards and existing regulation in Mauritius.
Activities to deliver Result 1:
1. Review of International Best Practices for the Building Control Bill, in relation to Energy Efficiency
2. Review of Legislation, including draft legislation, Building codes & Regulations, Compliance Mechanisms
3. Develop Guidelines on Solar passive design, design of piping for the circulation of fluids (air, water), algorithm for the calculation of an overall thermal building performance
Result 2: Prepare Building Control Bill, Building Regulations and Code for Energy Efficiency, and Compliance Mechanisms
Activities to deliver Result 2:
1. Develop: Compliance mechanism codes, Permits and licenses, Offences/penalties, Transition provisions, Powers of minister to regulate
2. Develop Specifications to improve EE/EC in new and existing buildings
3. Deliver Feasibility study on inclusion of building labelling system
Result 3: Delivery of Workshop and Training
Activities to deliver Result 3:
1. Develop Training materials, work plans, budget and checklist for capacity building,
2. Delivery of 2 x 2-day Consultative workshops with practitioners on the Building Control Bill, Building Regulations and Code for Energy Efficiency and Compliance Mechanisms
3. Deliver Five 1-day Training Workshops for training Local Government, Local Authorities etc. and 1 Train the Trainers workshop.