The Oceanian Regional Project of Territories for the Sustainable Management of Ecosystems (PROTEGE) - SIEA-2018-13416: aims to promote sustainable and resilient economic development in the face of climate change within the European Overseas Countries and Territories of the Pacific (OCTs), namely New Caledonia (NC), Wallis and Futuna (WF), French Polynesia (PF) and Pitcairn (PCN). It aims to set up an integrated and sustainable management of renewable natural resources and economic sectors and to strengthen the protection and resilience of ecosystems.
The general objective of the project is to build a sustainable and resilient development of the economies of the OCTs in the face of climate change by relying on biodiversity and renewable natural resources.
The first specific objective aims to strengthen the sustainability, adaptation to climate change and autonomy of the main branches of the primary sector. It is divided into two themes:
- Theme 1 - Agriculture and Forestry: the agroecological transition is carried out for agriculture, in particular organic, adapted to climate change and respectful of biodiversity, and forest resources are managed in an integrated and sustainable way;
- Theme 2 - Coastal Fisheries and Aquaculture: reef and lagoon resources and aquaculture are managed in a sustainable, integrated manner and adapted to island economies and climate change.
The second specific objective aims to strengthen the security of ecosystem services by preserving water resources and biodiversity. It is divided into 2 themes:
1. Theme 3 - Water: water is managed in a more integrated way and better adapted to climate change;
2. Theme 4 - Invasive species: invasive alien species are better managed to strengthen the protection, resilience and restoration of ecosystem services and biodiversity.
- Analyze the documentation, collect additional initial data, structure the evaluation and clarify the main questions to be addressed;
- Validate/adjust the preliminary answers formulated during the documentary phase, analyze the relevant secondary data, and complete the information thanks to the primary research, including interviews with key stakeholders;
- Report on the results of the evaluation (final answers to the evaluation questions (final findings) and formulate conclusions and recommendations).