- Market Areas: ENERGY AND CLIMATE
Climate and Energy have become the most critical issues facing the world today.
We provide consulting and advisory to a wide variety of clients, helping them replicate and upscale their climate and energy actions. We take an evidence-based approach and actively seek to cross-pollinate ideas and knowledge while delivering projects.
In contrast to other energy sources that are concentrated to a few countries, renewable energy resources are available much more widely and in areas where energy access is scarce.
The deployment of renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions improves energy security, climate change mitigation and has economic benefits. In international public opinion surveys, there is a dedicated support for promoting renewable sources such as solar, the wind and hydro power. At the national level, in at least 30 nations around the world, renewable energy contributes to more than 20 percent of the energy supply. National renewable energy markets are projected to continue to grow strongly in the coming decade and beyond.
The great challenge faced by developed and developing economies is to integrate environmental sustainability with economic growth and welfare. This can be achieved by decoupling environmental degradation from economic growth. Sustainable growth is typically one of the key objectives not only in development cooperation, but also in national policies. Rapid urbanization, climate change and the growing demand for energy and resources are challenging this objective. While many renewable energy projects are large-scale, renewable technologies are also suited to rural and remote areas and developing countries, where energy is often crucial in human development. In fact, in order to meet the Sustainable Energy For All (SE4ALL) goal of achieving universal energy access by 2030, off-grid renewable energy solutions are vital.
- DEM has provided advisory services to numerous governments and institutions around the world in incorporating renewable energy as a core component of their national energy strategy.
- DEM provides detailed analysis of viable options available in the local context and recommendations for broader reforms that will encourage renewable energy supply, based on a thorough understanding of global best practice and supplemented by quantitative analysis that makes use of tested, multi-faceted databases and energy modelling tools.
We focus on four core renewable energy technologies and hybrid solutions:
- Solar (PV and thermal), wind, hydro biomass.
We provide tailored technical solutions based on the most up-to-date knowledge and innovations:
- Technology advice – analysis, optimization and documentation of possible designs and configurations of system in a given situation, using the newest data and relevant tools; general consultancy including choice of technology, type, plant scale/capacity and installation, location/ orientation, functionality, management systems, etc.;
- Financial advice – cost-benefit analysis, assessment of return on investment and complete feasibility studies;
- Implementation support – preparation of procurement materials and specifications; technical dimensioning and planning (including transmission and distribution networks).